March 4, 2016

D.I.Y. Whipped Shea Butter


Moisturizing your skin is so important. It relieves dry and cracked skin, relieves symptoms of eczema, and can even help stop the development of stretch marks. Store bought lotions aren't always the best choice because they have so many chemicals that can be detrimental to our bodies. That's why I've been going the natural route with my hygienic products! (Check out our post about healthy skin, here.)



Unrefined Shea Butter
I recently decided to make whipped Shea Butter after seeing a few recipes on Pinterest. Though Shea Butter by itself does a great job at moisturizing my skin, it's solid texture sometimes makes it a hassle to rub all over my body. When you turn it into a whipped body butter, it makes it a lot easier to apply and you can even add your own fragrances!






Essential Oils: Eucalyptus & Lavender




Here's the whipped body butter recipe that I used to make my Lavender Scented Whipped Shea Butter. However, you can use what ever essential oil fragrances you prefer!





Lavender Whipped Shea Butter

1 cup of unrefined organic Shea Butter
1/2 cup of grapeseed oil or olive oil
1/2 cup of organic coconut oil
10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil for scent (I like lavender and eucalyptus)
Mixing bowl
Electric mixer
Mason jar or something to hold your body butter

Directions

Combine all your ingredients in a double boiler.
Heat until all oils are liquefied.
Pour into another bowl and let cool in the refrigerator for an hour or until the oils are re-solidified. (When your finger makes an impression in the oil, it's ready.)
Begin beating with an electric mixer. Continue until it looks like whipped cream. 
Transfer your body butter into a jar for storage. Be sure to keep it out of hot places like your bathroom or direct sunlight.

Your body butter should look like this when finished!

Products I Used

Now Solutions Grapeseed Oil & Essential Oils: You can get these from HEB or Whole Foods. Their website has a search engine where you can find where their products are sold.
Unrefined Organic Shea Butter: Shea Butter can be found at any of your local urban beauty supplies. If you have any African stores around you, they more than likely will sell it. If you rather shopping online, check out Ashanti Naturals
Coconut Oil: Any grocery store you go to will have Coconut Oil for sale. Just make sure it's organic!



6 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to make my own shea butter because the ones at the stores are SO expensive, but I am lazy lol. I want to say i will try this but my laziness is going to kick in and forget. I love using shea butter in my hair to seal in my ends (when my hair was longer) and on my skin during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to make mine! I am the procrastination queen! I finally decided to make it and it didn't take long at all!

      Delete
  2. Ummm...this looks awesome. This summer my goal is to start making some of my own beauty products. This will be one of them. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,
      Thanks for stopping by! Let us know who you like yours!

      Delete
  3. im always looking for new ways to do more natural DIY skin products...this looks sooo luscious, next time im at the store, i will pick up the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixya,
      Thanks for stopping by! It is so luscious and smooth! Let us know how it works out for you.

      Delete