August 26, 2015

Instagram Makeup vs. Everyday Makeup



If you have some sort of social media, I'm sure you have witnessed the plethora of Instagram makeup artists that have popped up in the recent years showing you how to contour your face, create that sculpted brow, or hide your "imperfections". These before and after pictures show the process of contouring and the vast amount of makeup that goes into making a woman look "beautiful". I'm sure most of you, especially those women who may not know much about makeup, have been overwhelmed and thought, "There's no way I'm doing that, just to get ready to go to work in the morning!" Well I have some news for you:

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!


lorensworld.com
Don't get me wrong, in no way am I discrediting these makeup artists and the amazing work that they do. I think it's a great way to show off the wondrous things you can do with makeup. However, I do think that these artists are doing their audience a disservice by only showcasing ways to change what you don't like about yourself. The average woman is not going to use 10 different products and 20 different brushes on her face just to get ready to go out in public especially if she has to get to work, get her kids ready, cook breakfast and so on. Also, in today's society where it's becoming harder and harder for women to embrace their natural beauty, this is definitely not a step in the right direction.

It has always been my philosophy that makeup should enhance your natural beauty, not transform you into a completely different person. Less is always more and caking makeup onto your face isn't always flattering. Furthermore, I should be able to recognize a person in a picture before they have on makeup and after they have on makeup! That's why my company's motto is, "Enhancing a woman's beauty, one face at a time.". Makeup is supposed to be an enhancer, not withcraft! Now, don't get me wrong...I'm always here for a good beat down and a nasty face serving session. Hunty, I will contour myself and anyone else around me for the Gaaawwds, if that's what they want! However, when I wake up to go to work in the morning, very rarely will you see me contouring, highlighting, blushing and all that other jazz. I'll stick with my foundation, eyeliner, mascara, & lipstick. Thank you! What I'm trying to say is, please don't be overwhelmed by the women you see on social media with 30 different lines on their faces, sculpted eyebrows, and overdrawn lips. That is not all makeup is about and that is not the standard of beauty. I feel like these Instagram artists are implying to their audience that if you don't like how you look, create a mask and become someone else. Can we say unhealthy? If something like the photo above or below is what you do every single day before you step out the house, where is your self-appreciation? Do you truly love who God created you to be? What happens when you take off the mask? & I hope you're washing your face very well...

examiner.com
I remember being in my makeup certification class last year and my instructor was so adamant about contouring every client's nose and cheekbone and every woman that had small lips should overline them, and all I kept thinking to myself was, "...but what if they don't want that?". If I create the illusion of fuller lips on this woman, am I telling her that the lips God gave her aren't beautiful enough? That part just didn't sit right with me.

I guess this post if just a mini-rant/PSA to let you ladies know that makeup does not have to be complex. It's an industry that is constantly changing it's rules, trends, fads and everything else. If you love your crooked nose, your round face, or your big forehead, own it and love it! Don't think that you have to hide that "imperfection" because society says so. Love yourself, flaws and all. Who says they're flaws anyway??



No comments:

Post a Comment