September 22, 2015

6 Tips for Packing a Cost Effective Heathy Lunch




Is it just me or does it seem like life gets busier during the fall and winter months? For me, it just seems as if all the sudden I have so much more to do. Even my friends with kids and families, Im exhausted just listening to them tell everything that is coming up. Sadly, the first thing to go during these busy months is a home cooked meal and a nice healthy packed lunch.

While I'm fully aware it is very hard to stay focused on packing a healthy lunch and it is not easy to stay motivated to do so. The keyword here is going to be motivation. Not your gym motivation because that motivation just doesn't work for most of us; my gym motivation be like "Girl...if you don't stay on this couch..." (Remind me to kick her to the curb ASAP). Im talking about real motivation, like the kind you use to make your life better financially or the kind you use to motivate your children. Be motivated to provide yourself with the best possible lifestyle. To give you a good head start, Ive got 6 tips here to help to pack an awesome lunch!

1. Make Enough Dinner For Leftovers


This is by far the easiest tip and I'm sure the one you hear most often. When your preparing dinner, make enough to pack for your lunch tomorrow then go ahead and pack it in your lunch containers. Sure it is a little more extra work BUT it saves you so much time in the morning! That way, if your like me, you can enjoy that nice hot cup of coffee a little bit longer. 



2. Cook The Meals For Your Lunch on Sunday 

Personally, this is what I do when I am prepping my lunches for the week. Since it is just me, often times I'm super lazy and just make enough dinner for me. Cooking is super relaxing to me and Sunday afternoons are just slow enough so I can take my time to make a good meal. You don't even have to prep for the whole week; usually, I make enough lunch for Monday through Wednesday. Then Weds night, I will make a larger meal so that will be my lunch for the last two days of the week. 


3. Write Out A Packing List 

If your anything like me, I am not a morning person. My brain does not function well until around 9am so my memory is super foggy. I have to lay out my clothes at night before bed or I will forget what I had planned to wear. I know, it's bad but judgement shall not be passed.   Many times I have to make a list before bed of what all to grab out the fridge for lunch. It helps me tremendously and it saves me a morning headache. 



4. Have Backups Lunches Ready

I can be very indecisive sometimes so there have been times where what I prepped on Sunday, I am not really feeling on Wednesday. That is why I always keep some freezer meals ready. Usually it is a casserole I've portioned out or some kind of homemade soup. This saves me from scrambling the night before trying to throw something together. 


5. Don't Force Yourself 

Please whatever you do, do not force yourself to eat something you really don't care for just because it's "healthy". I rarely have a salad for lunch simple because I don't care for it nor does it actually fill me up. I don't know about y'all but who be mad and hungry around 3pm is me with a salad. 


6. Make a Smarter Sandwich

Sometimes you have to go old school with a good ol sandwich and thats ok; just be smart about it! Instead of white bread go with a honey whole wheat (my fav) or 100% whole wheat bread. use tortilla to make wraps instead. Usually we do lettuce and tomato, switch it up, try shredded carrots or sliced apple with turkey meat. Swap out hummus for cheese or avocado for mayo. Got leftover chicken? Use that!






11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey Mia!
      Thank you so much for stopping by! Ive realized that its all about planning.

      xoxo,
      Jerica

      Delete
  2. These are such great tips! I'm in uni so only cook dinner for myself which makes portioning difficult so making more and having it for lunch as well is a great idea x
    http://christbelle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christie,

      I know exactly what you mean! Its just me as well so I understand making just enough for you. Planning ahead helps me feel blessed rushed through the week!

      xoxo,
      Jerica

      Delete
  3. This is really helpful. I struggle with eating healthy because I don't have time to cook and honestly fast food is so yummy lol

    themakeupleague.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz!
      apprieciate you stopping by! Omg I know where your coming from, I have such a weakness for a well cooked french fry! lol

      xoxo,
      Jerica

      Delete
  4. Super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! Appreciate you stopping by!

      Xoxo,
      Jerica

      Delete
  5. These are great tips! Thanks for sharing! I do love a good sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a student who is living away from home this is super helpful! Thanks so much. I over-make dinner all the time anyway so your first tip is perfect.

    xoxo

    Dana
    Creator of The X Class - A Success Blog
    www.thexclass.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana,

      Thank you so much for stopping by! Your so welcome!

      Delete